The critical path analysis method is a technique that is used to map out key tasks of the project which are necessary to complete in order to achieve the ultimate goal.
It defines the duration of each task and links between tasks to show their dependencies on each other. Critical Path Method Excel Template also evaluates the least amount of time that is required to complete the project with minimum possible slack.
In project management, one of the key phases in project planning is project scheduling. A number of techniques came into action in this regard to help project managers in effective and useful scheduling of the project.
The most common techniques are following;
- CPA (Critical Path Analysis)
- PERT (Project Evaluation and Review Technique)
The critical path itself is the longest path along the project timeline that requires completing the project tasks. All tasks that lie over the critical path are known as critical tasks.
Critical tasks are the key focus of project managers to monitor and control their completion in an effective way. Any delay in the completion of critical tasks will directly impact the project completion time.
Key Terms of Critical Path Method Excel Template
There are many terms used in critical path analysis which can be defined as follows with their importance;
- Network Diagram: The CPA network diagram is a graphical representation of activities with the help of nodes and arrows crafted keeping in view the activity duration and dependencies.
- Nodes: These are points that don’t consume any time or resources and are just used to represent the start or end of activities.
- Forward Pass: It’s a technique used to calculate the earliest start and earliest finish date of each activity.
- Backward Pass: It’s a technique used to calculate the latest start and latest finish date of each activity.
- Critical Path: It is the longest path that passes from all activities having zero slack. It is the key finding of critical path analysis.
- Slack or Float: It’s the maximum number of days an activity can be delayed without affecting the completion of the project or successor activity.
- Critical Activities: These are the activities that join to create a project critical path. These activities have zero slack value and any delay will affect the completion of the project.
- Non-Critical Activities: These are the activities that don’t fall on the critical path and having some slack or float values. Any delay in the completion of these tasks within the available slack value will not affect the completion of the project.
Types of Critical Path Method Excel Template
It also includes the way that the table contains a diagram and other charts and diagrams that have the effect on the off chance that you are planning to impact a point by manage meander toward the process and project success; further, It would also help to prescribe utilizing any Gantt Chart sheet to organize and generate the charts as followed.
Steps to make a Critical Path Analysis Template
Critical path analysis template can be easily made following simple guidelines as follows;
- Make a table that should include information such as a list of activities, their predecessors, successors, and durations.
- Use the above table to build a network diagram keeping in view the activity’s duration and dependencies.
- Apply forward pass and backward pass analysis on each activity.
- Circle the activities which show the same scores for a forward pass and backward pass as these are the critical activities having zero floats or slack.
- Joins all these activities to make a path till the completion of the project. This path is known as a critical path of the project.